How to repair a broken screen from my iDevice? If you have accidentally cracked the screen of your iPhone, iPod or iPad, you can easily repair it. Before you DIY repair it, you need to make sure that you know how to disassemble your unit. Repairing the screen is difficult but it is doable as long as you have the patience and the steady hands.
Here are the steps to fix your cracked screen:
- Obtain replacement LCD and digitizer assembly. You must only purchase it from a reputable supplier that offers quality parts and tools.
- Prepare the tools. You need a screwdriver, pry tool and security screwdriver.
- Turn off your gadget. Be it iPhone or iPod, you need to power it off before disassembling it.
- Remove the back part of the gadget. To do this, you need to unscrew the bottom 2 dock connector screws.
- Organize the screws. Keep in mind that screws are not the same. For that reason, you must remember where you pull a certain screw from. Place all of them in a certain arrangement that you can remember.
- Remove its battery. To remove it, you need a plastic pry tool or something similar.
- Remove the grounding clip.
- Disconnect the cable.
- Remove the dock connector shield. The dock connector has a shield with two screws. Remove them and set them aside in a way that you can remember them where they come from.
- Remove/unclip the antenna, top logic board shield, speaker, and vibrator.
- Remove all remaining screws.
- Remove broken screen from the gadget. When removing broken or cracked screen, you should also remove all left over glass from the frame as they can disrupt your gadget’s functionality.
- Put on the new LCD.
- Start reassembling your gadget.
After following these steps, you are done repairing the cracked screen of your iDevice. The overall process is tricky. But it can be done. However, if you do not want to do it yourself, you can simply return the gadget to Apple and the company may provide you with a new one provided the gadget is still under manufacturer’s warranty.